Hey there listener!
I’m so happy to introduce you to Jamie Gavle of Rendered Unique in Decorah, Iowa. She is just the sweetest person and is such a great example of the kind of woman I like to highlight here on Small Minded. The way she lifts others up and just LOVES her small town is so inspirational.
Jamie is the owner of Rendered Unique, a truly handmade home decor boutique that features work from 30+ makers from the Midwest. In today’s episode she shares her journey of building her business from a little pop up to the community happy place it is today.
- Jamie has been married to her husband Joe for 10 years and they have two daughters aged 10 and 12.
- She grew up in a small town in Northwest Iowa and loved being close to family and both sets of grandparents. But at 18, she couldn’t wait to get out and experience the world!
- Jamie studied Apparel Merchandising, Design, and Production at Iowa State University. She graduated on a Friday. On Monday morning, she and a friend moved to Minneapolis with an apartment, no job, and all of their belongings in a hog trailer!
- She loved the big city life but wanted to return to small town living when her daughter was born. A job offer for Joe took them to Decorah one week after her oldest was born!
- Inspired by what her friend Allison was doing in The Cities, Jamie started doing pop up shows and loved it. Soon Rendered Unique was all she could think about!
- Jamie started renting her space and was open one weekend a month. She decided to leave her job in administration at Luther College in March 2020, planning to open full time in April. She made it ONE popup before Covid hit and she was closed for eight weeks. But the Decorah community continued to support her business by shopping online.
- Rendered Unique now has four employees and 30+ vendors! Jamie is always open to “keep pivoting” and loves that her makers have become friends. She’s in full fall mode and looks forward to taking each January off to regroup and go to market.
So many favorites to mention this episode!
- Doe a Deer
- Midwest Girl
- Dirt Road Candle Company
- Aesthete Modern Clay
- Allison Marie Design
- Impact Coffee
Connect with Jamie
Molly Knuth Media Fall Offerings
I know it’s hard to do allthethings as a small business owner, especially going into the fall. How can the team at MKM help? Reach out for tactical hands-on support, admin, graphic design, and more. Or, if you’d prefer, we can chat strategy to be sure the marketing you’re doing on your own has a plan and path. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more.
Are you more of the DIY type? Consider Social School!
Social School is our signature program at MKM where we share what’s working RIGHT NOW in social media. You can join for one month or get a special offer when you join for the rest of the year. Learn more in the shop at mollyknuthmedia.com/shop