You guys. My cheeks hurt from laughing and smiling so much with this week’s guest, Jenny Roth of Jenny Roth Copywriting. She is such a super mom, wife, and PERSON.
Today, though, our talk centers on her small business as a copywriter. She has great experience to share as a small business owner as well as copywriting tips FOR small business owners.
We’ve been “DM friends” for a while but this is our first time chatting in person! I loved our chat and I know you will too.
- Jenny lives in a rural South Dakota town with only 300 people. (Rural like 45 minutes from a Walmart rural!) Her husband farms grain and cattle and they have three girls, born within four years!
- Jenny was a stay-at-home mom and even homeschooled until a few years ago. She started to wonder how she could contribute to her family’s income in the little pockets of time she found.
- She started by writing one article each month for a magazine and later moved up to editor. People started approaching her for writing help and her business was born.
- Jenny’s focus has always been her family although she feels a little guilty for admitting it. Her first goal was to make just $200 per month to put her girls in dance lessons.
- Jenny struggles with indecisiveness but realized “You can do things scared.”
- Her biggest business challenges are taking on too much and keeping everything balanced.
- Jenny realized that hiring copywriters to work under her made her an editor, which she doesn’t enjoy, so she switched to hiring copyeditors instead.
- In the future, Jenny would like to help others get started in copywriting.
Some copywriting tips from Jenny
- Copywriting is to connect customers with businesses that solve problems.
- Copywriting is anything you write that connects to your customers.
- Copywriting should have your voice. Write it for you first, then edit it for your reader. Read it back out loud to see if it sounds like you!
- Avoid “word salad” copy. Be very specific!
What a copywriter can do for you
- Learn your “voice” to create copy that sounds like you would speak
- Do a target audience deep dive with market research
- Give your words a fresh set of eyes
Connect with Jenny
Find Jenny on Instagram @jennyrothcopywriting or on her website. Join her email list for a free 15-minute master class to create your email welcome sequence.
Follow for More
Follow Molly Knuth Media on Instagram and Facebook
Follow Small-Minded on Instagram and Facebook
Be the first to comment