Hey there, listener.
This week’s episode is super sweet for celebrating you mamas! Thanks so much to the listeners who contributed motherly advice!
I’m so blessed to be a mom to four little ones (or… not so little! They grow too fast!). We definitely planned to be parents, but we did NOT plan for it to look like what it does! It’s a beautiful little mess that I never could have predicted, but it is my most. favorite. role.
- So I’ll start it off! New mamas: Get clear with yourself. How I pictured myself momming is SO different than the homemade-snacks-and-hands-on-homework-help mom I pictured! Yup, we have screentime and processed snacks! But believe me, if you let kids be bored long enough, they will find something to entertain them for HOURS. It’s like a 30 minute bubble, but they’ll forget screentime soon enough!
- Ok, so I‘m going to need another bullet point. It’s okay to not read all of the books and research all of the things ahead of time! For myself, it made me more anxious and nervous. Reach out to your support system when you need help. No need worrying in advance!
- Definitely take time for yourself, your relationship, and your friends. I couldn’t agree with this one more! We love our Natalie. She’s a junior in college now but has been with our family forever. She’s like a big sister and sometimes a more organized mom than me! It’s so good to have time for yourself and to have more people for your kiddos to love. Get some great regular childcare in your little village!
- Give yourself grace after childbirth. Oof. I learned this one the hard way. Seriously, your body basically performed a miracle. Go easy on yourself! Rest!
- Related: As you’re resting and relaxing, snuggle those babies as long as you can! They just grow too fast! It’s sneaky, but one day you’ll look and them and not remember the last time you held them in your lap. Cherish every minute you can!
- Be present. This is a challenge for me, but I can definitely see the value in really being in the moment with your family. It’s hard as a business owner with a home office, but I’m really working on it!
- Get a circle of support you can ask questions to. Being “small-minded” I’m definitely going to pump local groups, but online is good too! Think globally! Just remember you’re not alone.
- It’s okay to not be okay. Allow others to pour into you. Get the help you need. Care for your mental health.
I’m going to need a whole ‘nother episode to rant on how it’s SO UNFAIR that Mother’s Day, Teacher’s Appreciation, Childcare Provider Appreciation, Firefighter appreciation all are on the same week. You all deserve your own week!
I’ve got to take a minute to acknowledge that this week isn’t always special and sweet for everyone. Everybody’s story is different but they are all beautiful. Whether you are struggling with a parent relationship, choosing not to be a parent, or if your childfree life is not by choice, I see you. You are close to my heart this week.
So much love this week, everyone! I hope you have a beautiful Mother’s Day!