I have a super special guest this week in our series on The Learning Center in Charles City, Iowa! Today I share my interview with Will McAllister of Woodruff Construction.
At just 23 years old, he is the construction manager of the TLC project! I just love this kid and the love he has for literally building BIG things in small towns.
- Will started studying engineering but didn’t love it and transferred to Kirkwood to study construction management. He later transferred to UNI to complete his bachelor’s degree. Along the way he worked part-time with Woodruff and has been with them full time since graduation.
- Will loves that he gets to combine an office job with the in-person visits to job sites.
- As a construction manager he works with the building superintendent, crew leaders, and more. He’s managing a LOT! Will says it’s about building a great team, working together, and staying organized.
- Will discusses some challenges of the construction industry lately. Access to supplies has inflated budgets and pushed back deadlines which can be very frustrating.
- Okay, so he’s my brother. See why I get to call him a kid? But seriously, can you even believe how poised and professional he is? So proud.
- Will has enjoyed learning new things with the TLC build like how to have restrooms in the childcare rooms or how each room has its own HVAC system. He loves to remodel old buildings and is excited for the TLC project.
- Will credits his success to his family (aww!) and their high standard of work ethic. He also says it is hard to get in trouble in a small town because you never know who will see you doing something stupid!
- Mom and I had some fun thinking of his bonus round questions, including our dad’s favorite one-liner.
- Will’s advice for young folks is to give community college some thought! He’s grateful for what he learned, but says he felt “too proud” to go straight for community college. He knows he had to try engineering first in order to know it wasn’t what he wanted, but that in hindsight, community college so just so great for him.