I am so excited to start not only the first day of a new month with you, but to kick of Women’s History Month!
If you’ve been here for any length of time, you know that I love to celebrate kickass women, and this month at Small-Minded and Molly Knuth Media, we are sharing some women who are doing great things in 2022. This is the first in a series of episodes and blog entries sharing the stories of women I know who are growing businesses, volunteering in their communities, raising families, maintaining households, and generally just keeping the world turning through the work they do and the love that they share.
I’ve always loved commemorating this month in particular to look back at all the progress we’ve made, celebrate our accomplishments, and plan for the work yet to do. And today we kick it off with a look at the current state of women in business, in the workplace, in the home, and how we can best support their efforts.
- Take a look at your own community: how many businesses are women-owned in your community? How many women occupy leadership positions? What are women doing in your town to make a difference?
- In 2017, women owned more than 11.6 million businesses, accounting for 39% of all privately held firms and contribute 8% of employment but only 4.2% of revenues; which indicates to me that we have a long way to go to bring women’s pay up.
- 47% of women started a business in the last year, compared to 44% of men.
- “It takes a little bit of time not just to gather experience, but for us as women to feel confident in ourselves and in our own skills and apititudes enouth to say ‘hey you know what, I’m worth it and I’m going to take this chance and I’m going to bet on myself.’”
- “There’s never a right time, but it’s always a good time to start your own business.”
- The reason most women step into the world of entrepreneurship is the desire to pursue their passion, with 48% saying it was their main motivator (legaljobs.io).
- 88% of all women-owned businesses generate less than $100,000 yearly. Out of all women-led companies, there are only 4.2% that generate more than $1 million in annual revenue (legaljobs.io).
- Statistics on women entrepreneurs show that women are less optimistic and less confident when it comes to sales, earnings, and the number of employees compared to men (legaljobs.io).
- “Think like a man, and take the damn shot.”
- “As a business owner you never really get ‘there.'” There is always a next thing to check of your to-do list or the next milestone or revenue to reach.
- Women carry a majority of the mental load in their households
- childcare and shuffling of schedules
- giving reminders to schedule bill payments or handle other essential tasks
- needing to offer praise or pats on the back for handling necessary chores around the house
- keeping track of parenting-related daily details, including after-school plans, permission slips, library book due dates, or pediatrician appointments
- We need to rally around our female-owned business owners, particularly offering advice, a listening ear, and a circle of support
Podcast Sponsor: MKM Spring Programs
In recent weeks, you’ve heard me sharing the importance of seeking support and furthering your knowledge and networks to grow your business in 2022. And this spring at Molly Knuth Media we’ve got two options for to support your business:
Option 1: Social School
*For the business owner who is just starting out, looking for marketing accountability, or to uplevel their marketing skills.
What you get:
- Tips and tricks for using social media to advertise your small business
- Monthly topic of focus
- Content Calendars
- Q&A Sessions
- Templates and more
Option 2: Business School
*For the business owner in years 2-7, looking for community and support as they grow from start-up business to stabilizing and scaling.
What you get:
- For the 2-7 year business owner looking for that “something”
- Bring in monthly experts in various areas like “working in your purpose,” “productivity tools,” “organizing your business,” “hiring,” and more
- A place for you to find inspiration, answers, and community as you grow your small-town small business
To be the first to know about these offers and when you can register, head to https://bit.ly/mkmspring
Follow for More
For more about our Instagram workshops this month at MKM visit mollyknuthmedia.com/shop.