Today I’m sitting down with my friend, Melissa Nelson, creator of Hungry Canyon. Melissa manages it ALL and she does it ALL well. She manages being a mom, teacher, farm wife, business owner and so much more!
Melissa grew up in a Nebraska, yes she’s a Cornhusker, but don’t hold that against her! Melissa wears many hats as you’ll hear in today’s episode, but her entrepreneurial outlet, Hungry Canyon is something you have to check out!
Hungry Canyon makes agriculturally accurate greeting cards and gifts.
Melissa is full of inspiration, Hungry Canyon cards are hilarious, and if you have any connection at all to agriculture, you have to listen to this week’s episode!
- “When you grow up in ag, it’s just in your blood and becomes your lifestyle.” Melissa loved growing up on her family farm alongside her two sisters. It has instilled in her a work ethic passion for agriculture.
- Agriculture in the Classroom is a national program and looks different all across the United States. The semester before graduating college, Melissa knew she wanted to work in agriculture. After sending an email of interest, Melissa was given the position and since it has become her legacy project.
- “Sometimes your dream job can change.” While Melissa helps her students plan their seven month externship before graduation she constantly reminds them that thoughts and feelings about your dream job can change.
- Hungry Canyon is the bright spot in many people’s week when they receive one of Melissa’s greeting cards.
- “My business is so niched down, but I found those people and I’ve been able to grow.” Only 2% of the US is involved in agriculture but Melissa has found the people that connect with this and her creative outlet.