Listener, today you are in for a treat.
In this episode I sit down with Jada Dobesh of Selah Space in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Jada was recommended to me by a friend who said I would be BLOWN AWAY (in a good way). Let me tell you, I was.
Our time together FLEW by and I learned so much in our time together. I know you’ll find something here that connects with you.
- Content Confident subscription from MKM: More efficient, less stressful, plug and play social media strategy
- It’s hard to fit Jada’s job description into a single sentence: She’s a spiritual healing facilitator, certified Reiki practitioner, and has a psychology background. She practices at the intersection of three main topics: Spirituality, sexuality, and self-worth. Our society has taught us those three things are not meant to go together, but Jada is helping us unlearn that.
- As a child of divorced parents, Jada wanted to be a Marriage and Family Therapist. As an undergrad, she changed her major to youth ministry. She graduated, got married, and started her career in a single week!
- Selah is a Hebrew word with no good translation, but means “Stop and think about what the lyrics just said.”
- Jada worked with a spiritual guide and a therapist and noticed she could talk about her sex life with one and her spirituality with another. She knew women would benefit from someone who could help with both.
- As a youth minister Jada loved working with the moms most. Moms are still her favorite people to work with, especially those for whom everything is “technically fine.”
- We discuss how we can be addicted to busyness and chaos and what that models for our children. “Oh my gosh, how do I not destroy my kids?”
- Jada offers the program Menstrual Mystics to help us REALLY understand our cycle. She gives a quick breakdown in our episode but ladies, LOOK THIS UP! Jada’s socials are linked at the bottom of these notes.
- Our cycle starts with the first day of your last “period” but there are several periods to a cycle.
- The Follicular phase mirrors spring and we are flirty, young, and have so many ideas. It’s best to not execute on these ideas, but take lots of notes!
- Ovulation is 3-5 days and is like the full moon of summer. This is the time to communicate, network, interview, and batch content. We are at our BEST.
- Luteal is our fall. If you struggle with reproductive health, these are the days when you feel it the most.
- Menstrual phase is what we commonly refer to as our period, and it’s time to REST. This is not when we are irrational, it is when we are done with BS and (rightfully!) mad at the world.
- Jada carefully considers habits that affect hormones. She recommends eating within an hour of waking up, limiting exercise to 30 minutes for most women, and avoiding caffeine during your menstrual period. Lunch is a great time to exercise to prevent an afternoon slump.
- This interview left me craving more information. Check out Jada’s offerings here. I especially love the description for Soul Illume: “You’re supposed to take up space, to live your spirit-led life by listening closely to your intuition and honoring its call.”
- I love her response to the saying that you can’t pour from and empty cup. She says she prefers the analogy of a champagne fountain where everyone can be served at once.
- I literally cried happy tears the first time I used Flodesk for my email list. Not only was it BY FAR the easiest platform I had tried, my emails were beautiful and matched my branding! Use my link for 50% off Flodesk.